somerset pillboxes                                  

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

                             

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Up

Back
Next

 

 

 

 

                                 

             

This is a photograph (c.1975) of the former White Lion Inn, inside which the pillbox, pictured below, was built.

                                               (Photo: courtesy of GWYNETH LEIGHTON)

 
THIS STRUCTURE LIES AT THE JUNCTION OF THE BRIDGWATER & TAUNTON CANAL AND THE OLD TAUNTON & CHARD CANAL WHICH, FROM THIS POINT, WE WILL BE FOLLOWING SOUTHWARD.

This pillbox is the one described in the book Somerset at War 1939 - 1945, by Mac Hawkins, as "entirely constructed within a house without disturbing the structure". The house was in fact a public house called the 'White Lion' which was converted from one of a pair of cottages situated on the eastern bank of the Bridgwater and Taunton canal at Creech St. Michael.

Some time after the war the pub reverted back to a cottage which is now demolished. The pillbox, the concrete of which was too tough to demolish, still has some of the stone and brick outer structure in place.  The box is long and narrow and has two loopholes in each of the long walls and one in each of the narrow east and west walls.

In this southern view of the box can be seen one of the two loopholes on this side.  The pub's original walls served as the box's shuttering.

The western loophole facing the canal. 

 

                                                                                 

 

 

                                                                                                                  DAVID TACCHI  2003 - 2014

                                                                                           ALL PHOTOGRAPHS ON THIS WEBSITE WERE, UNLESS OTHERWISE INDICATED, TAKEN BY DAVID TACCHI